Friday, July 17, 2009

My Reason For Being Away Sooooo Long



I know I've been pretty much offline for a while now. But I had good reason. A while back I was running up the driveway, tripped on lord knows what and went flying forward landing on my hands and knees. The fingers on my right hand bent all the way backwards (very unpleasant) and I scraped a good chunk of skin off my right knee. I went to the ER and the doctor and nurse that looked at my hand were 100% certain that I broke all of the fingers on my right hand but after seeing the X-rays they were surprised to find out that there were no brakes. Still it was the worst sprain they've ever seen apparently. So of course my hand swelled up (see above images) and was completely useless. I normally have very boney hands unlike what is seen in the above images. I can't even begin to tell you how much it seriously sucks to be a right handed artist without the use of a right hand! I did a little painting with my left hand but while it turned out just as good as anything I've done in the past it was very time consuming and terribly frustrating and I did decide to take a bit of an art break (and a blogging break as well). I now have the use of my hand again although my middle finger and ring finger won't straighten out anymore and are very stiff and do ache from time to time but at least I can use my hand again! My knee still hurts if I put pressure on it so I do have to be careful and I will most likely have a scar because so much skin came off. I was never one to show off my legs anyway though so I can deal with scars :) . The most frustrating part of this has probably been having to listen to people constantly go on and on about how I should try to exercise (by bending) my fingers. They just don't seem to understand that my fingers WILL NOT bend! It's not that it's hard, or painful, it's that they won't bend. It would be like trying to bend a brick with your hands. They are stiff as a board and the likely hood of my ever being able to straighten them is pretty slim. I can live with it though, I just hope that I don't develop arthritis in them (which is apparently highly likely from what I've been told). So that's my story. There have been a number of times that I've thought about how much I wanted to blog but was unable to type and now I'm happy to be back in action :)

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

My heart goes out to you! I hope your recovery is swift! I accidently dropped an open rotary cutter on my hand and severed a tendon in my thumb a year ago. I had to have surgery and a cast for several months... what seemed like a little deal, at the time, wasn't so little! So... I understand completely what you're going through. Hugs!