Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Hummingbird Petting Zoo





Today I spent about an hour or more sitting atop a ladder on my in-law's porch petting hummingbirds. Yes, you heard me right! I actually touched them! I went up there initially to try and get some photos of the little buggers but soon realized that they were rather comfortable with my being there so I figured I'd just reach out and touch one. I started out by slowly coming up underneath one while he was drinking and then gently stroking his tummy with the end of my finger. This didn't seem to phase him a bit which of course made me much braver in my actions and I gave his little tummy a nudge with my finger and low and behold he just hopped right on! He sat there for a little while and then flew away only to make room for more little bitty birds to rest atop my outstretched fingers. The above middle picture (while not a good angle to see it) shows a little bird sitting atop my finger. These little guys are very soft and terribly brave when they're hungry. No need for a zoom lens with the birds around these parts :)

2 comments:

Zoe Ann Hinds said...

How lucky you were to so quickly gain the trust of the hummingbird and then be able to touch it. It usually takes a good deal of time and effort to be able to do so. I would so like to one day be lucky enough to experience that!

If you would like much more information about hummingbirds, please click the links below. The sites contain many articles about hummingbirds, video clips about hummingbirds, an informative tips booklet on hummingbirds, and much more.

Click Here To Visit About HummingbirdsHummingbirds For Mom

Momxxx said...

That is so amazing Kim. You had such a special moment with a little living jewel! I envy you the memory of this one.
Mom