Sunday, September 7, 2008

My New Art Room/Studio Unvailed Finally!!!

This is the closet in my little room. There are no doors so I hung up some of my Indian fabric for a little curtain. The blue tin is a lovely vintage find from a second hand store.
These Chinese lanterns are not vintage but still lovely and they fit right in with their bright colors! I hung them from lengths of creamy yellow antique lace.
My cabinet was a purchase from IKEA. It matches my desk on the other side of the room. One of these days I think I will paint them both. The little cabinet on top was made by my mum. The vintage tin canisters on top are both finds from my favorite antique shop in Great Village Nova Scotia. I have a matching set of three of the one with the yellow lid! On top are four 100 yard rolls of vintage seam binding in glorious colors!
Here we have a cute little straw bag full of wonderful treasures! An antique photo, two antique Delineator fashion magazines in surprisingly good condition, A very large book of aged lined paper from 1921 complete with page numbers stamped on by hand, a vintage copy of 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town" sheet music and other neat things. Those are vintage rhinestone clip-on earings attached to the front of the bag.
Two lovely vintage rose patterned bowls houseing some antique Victorian trade cards as well as a roll of rose patterned vintage wallpaper border. These trade cards are just a teeny tiny part of my collection. I have about ten rolls of that wallpaper border, all 12 feet in length!

Some of the vintage books sitting atop my painting desk.
Pretty things displayed on the shelves above my desk. Three vintage plates, a Bailey's sugar pot in the bottom left corner and two gorgeous vintage velvet millinery flowers.
This adorable velvet bear was made by my mum when I was a little girl. It's wearing my vintage rhinestone bracelet. The alarm clock, also vintage, was made in Paris. I have two, one slightly different than the other. The button cards and loose buttons shown are all vintage as well as is the hanky shown hanging out of my Tiffany & Co. gift bag which is also home to an assortment of old cabinet cards.
More old books piled up on my desk. The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin is my favorite Beatrix Potter book. I'm hoping to find a first edition copy one of these days. The Horses & Ponies book was my mum's when she was young. The bible was in an auction lot that I won and while I'm not religeous I love it's worn old look. I'd have to double check but I believe that one was printed in the 1800's.
This metal K that hangs on the wall is from an old metal screen door. The pretty sparkly is a vintage rhinestone broach.

The newly painted wall shelves above my desk. I covered them in vintage book pages and then painted them with acrylics. The little shadowbox I put together to house my cute vintage plastic deer figures. Three of the horses are Hagen Renakers while the other (the littlest one) is one I painted years ago.
More vintage tin canisters, one holding paint brushes and the other paper flowers. The pink cake plate was a wonderful gift from my mum. On top of it is a vintage blue carnival glass sugar dish holding vintage rhinestone lovelies, two antique pocket watches, some swarovski crystals awaiting the right project to use them in, a blue sparkly bird and the pretty gold tiara I wore on my wedding day. The vintage glass jars hold more vintage supplies such as white velvet leaves, white buttons and some not so vintage but rather new plastic pearl beads. There you see a stack of antique postcards which are only a smidgeon of my antique postcard collection. If I could only collect one thing it would be these postcards! I love them!
Another shot of my desk. The chair is quite old and missing most of it's paint but I love it like that. It only cost me $10!
More on display on my shelves, this time we have a Baileys cup full of new velvet leaves and a vintage mother of pearl button card, a vintage salt shaker, and in the background one of my paintings and a Victorian childrens book from the 1800's, every page is covered in gorgeous color illustrations!
And last but not least, more shelf treasures! A lovely old handstiched hanky, a beautiful and fairly large antique Victorian trade card featuring yellow roses, the little horses I mentioned before and some of my Eiffel Towers.
I hope you enjoyed the tour :)


5 comments:

Simply Me Art said...

Very Pretty and Inspirational!

Lola Enchanted said...

So pretty and inspirational!!!!

Thea said...

love your art, blog & new art room. All inspiration to me.

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

Kim... I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of your studio. I had to chuckle to myself... I have a blue Tiffany's box in my room too.

The very first time I visited New York I was DETERMINED to buy myself something a Tiffany's. It was a sterling silver starfish. I loved EVERYTHING about that experience... right down to the little blue box.

BTW... I THINK YOU SWAN artwork hanging near your desk is INCREDIBLE... if you ever want to sell it.. give me a SHOUT!

Delilah said...

Keep up the good work.