Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Bird's Nests, Artwork and Website Delays


It's raining and I'm sitting at my computer desk surrounded by scraps of paper and vintage clipart. Sometimes when I'm using my computer I like to have an art project on standby just in case the internet is slow or my computer is taking forever to do some random task I've asked of it. The current project is two tiny shadowboxes. It's tough to get things done while my son is napping (something he's currently attempting). I have to be sooooo quiet as to not wake him and sometimes I think he has Superman's super hearing because it takes very little to unsettle him.

Yesterday I took my little bug out for a walk in his stroller. It had snowed the night before so the slushy roads didn't make the walk very easy but I enjoyed it none the less. On the side of the road I spotted a bird's nest atop a fallen tree that I was certain I could reach so of coarse I just had to push my way thru the snowy bush to win myself a treasure. The nest was in very good condition and while it wasn't small I did manage to get it home in one peice. It's amazing how a little bird with no hands and no tools can make such a wonderful work of art! The inside of the nest is packed with mud and moss and is so smooth! How do they do it!?

The above artwork is just a sample of what I've been up to lately. The first is an acrylic painting on watercolor paper. It isn't of anyone in particular but it was inspired by my charming son who is now a whopping 11 months old and is just as sweet and cheerful as ever! I didn't use any of my usual tecniques for this painting deciding to try to do every bit of this piece in a completely different manner. In some ways it reminds me of Misty Mawn's work which I often find to be so inspiring.

The second painting uses a collage I made for a greeting card design as the background. I covered the collage in crackle medium and white paint (after scanning the original collage for future use as a card) and then added the blue haired lady over top. She is glued to a piece of cardboard to give her a 3d look which was then hot-glued to the collage. Her body is a piece of lace and a green and red ribbon.

And yes, the website is still under construction. HOPEFULLY it will be up and running by next week but I'm not making any promises. I'm just waiting on getting my packageing supplies for my art prints so that I can start up my Etsy shop and open my website at the same time. Getting the packaging isn't all that easy because I don't have a ride into town and my husband works till later than the store is open so I have to wait till the weekend to see if I can get out there. I hate that it's taking so long but such is life I guess :). Hopefully it will be worth the wait!

No comments: