Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Some hopefully helpful art related tips and tricks

  • Tea staining but not getting a dark enough stain? Try coffee! Coffee gives a nice dark rich colored stain that looks great and is easy to apply. I like to use instant coffee. Just put the item you wish to stain in a shallow pan and sprinkle some instant coffee grounds on top, next slowly pour hot water on top and voila! Doing it this way will leave little dark brown marks where the coffee was sitting as well as staining the whole peice. If you don't want the little marks on there just make your coffee in a seperate container and pour it on the item.
  • Beware the bad reaction FolkArt waterbased varnish can have on artwork! Recently I covered a painting in this product with horrible results! It appears that this particular product does not like purple colored pencils :(. My painting had three purple birds done in colored pencil that turned hot pink when I applied the FolkArt waterbased varnish! Needless to say I won't be using this product again on my purple birds!
  • I've discovered a product called Pearl Ex Pigments. This product comes as a powder which you can either add to your paint or you can dry brush it on. I LOVE this stuff! It has a gorgeous metallic sheen to it and comes in some really fantastic colors. I purchased mine at Opus but I'm sure it could be found online. Give it a try, you might just like it as much as I do :)!
  • Ran out of white paint did you? If you've run out of white paint and can't get to the store but you happen to have some white gesso handy, use that instead. I've been using white gesso instead of white paint for some time now and actually prefer it. It covers alot better and mixes well with other paints.

2 comments:

Bejeweled said...

Great hint on using coffee! I was just tea staining the other day (with strong British stuff) and couldn't make it the color I wanted.... And I love the idea of the speckles from the coffee grains.

Kim McCabe said...

Glad to be of service :)!